Sunday, May 25, 2008

Letter to Uncle Tony

March 8, 1944
Detroit, Mich.
Dear Uncle Tony,
How are you. Mary Marget knows how to sing good now. And she knows how to dance good to. I am in the 2nd grade and I have 3rd grade book and I have an A for halfyear. I am a Jr. red cross. We make kits for soldiers. I b ough buttons and pins and darning needles for the kits. I have seven war bonds and I have 13.50 stamps in the war book.
God Bless you Uncle Tony

Alice Galanska
1825 E. grand blvd.

Uncle Tony saved this and gave it back to me a few years ago.
It was written in pencil, so it didn`t come out very good.

4 comments:

patsy said...

You were so smart, even way back then, Alice!
How sweet and so thoughtful for a seven year old.
You have been through a few wars now, haven't you? Wouldn't be be wonderful if our young could serve our country in other ways than killing or being killed?
Imagine.

Kathy Galan said...

Dear Alice:

I'm sure my father appreciated this letter at the time and receiving this. You were certainly a diligent 7 year old at the time.

Alice said...

Actually, I was 8 and a half and Marty, 1 and a half. At that time any one having a relative in the service considered them heroes.

dona said...

That letter says so much about both you and Uncle Tony, Alice.... what a sweetheart you are and how much he treasured that letter to hold on to it for so long...

Like Patty it breaks my heart to think of the waste that war is..... I believe what Jesus said: "The meek WILL inherit the earth" (not weak.. but humble) People who are willing to take the high road and cooperate with their fellow humans.. Would it be "fair" if only generation of people had that privilege? no... that's why the word "resurrection" is mentioned 40 times in the Bible. Imagine our beautiful life-afirming planet with returning family & friends, all living in peace...... sign me up!

We are so glad to have our Uncle Tony.. He's a walking TREASURE..! He showed Jean a map of the area where he came ashore near Toulon in the south of France.... it must have been pretty rural there at the time..... not the case now... I think of him every time we visit... LOVE YOU UNCLE TONY!!!