Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A New Fun Link

I was sent this link which I added to our link list on the right because I think it is really interesting. I hope Scott sees this.
The post about St Albertus sounds like something I would like to do if possible. Read on and then go to the link to check out some of the older posts. The one about the Vietnam soldier is amazing.


Art in the Age of Cathedrals

A Presentation of the Detroit Institute of Arts at Historic
St. Albertus

Sunday, November 2, 2008 at 12:30 P.M.

St. Albertus Church still stands proudly at the corner of St. Aubin and Canfield as an icon of Detroit's Polonia. Historic St. Albertus Church was built in 1884 in a Gothic Revival style. The church seats 2,500 and contains over a hundred religious paintings and statues. The building's historic and architectural significance has been recognized. The church was declared a State of Michigan Historic Site and placed on the National Register of Historic Places

This is a great blog. Take a look at the post from THURSDAY, OCTOBER 02, 2008:
Lively Americans: The U.S. Poles
Life Magazine April 25, 1955 A time when the Polish Community of Hamtramck was buzzing with activity, excitement and enthusiasm.
Lot's of memories come back from this one....especially the bopcha's (sp?) bent over an oven, probably cooking for a wedding reception just like the one for Alice and Bill!!

8 comments:

Alice said...

My mother`s family went to St. Albertus. I don`t know why they got married at Sweetest Heart (or did they?) My neighbor, Josephine went to Felician Academy, she was a postulant studing to be a Felician nun, they were very strict and she changed her mind. I`ll have to read more of the link, its real interesting. Too bad there are so many things going on that weekend in Nov. or we could have gone to the presentation.

Anonymous said...

That Felician Academy school scared the crap out of me! I went to a high school dance there in freshman year and I can tell you that was one school I never considered going to out of 8th grade! To a 13 year old girl, it looked like a prison from the outside and felt like a dungeon from the inside.

It's funny, I was reading some of the comments on the Detroit's Soul link and they mentioned the Chene Street Project. The person who worked on this for about 4 years was a professor at U of M (Marian Krzyowski). I talked to him about 3 years ago on the phone because he was looking for old yearbooks and such from St. Stanislaus, where I went to high school. I sent him what I had and he photocopied everything and sent it back. He wanted me to do a in-person interview about the old neighborhood but it just never happened. I always wondered what the result of that Project was and I never read about it until today. In the link, it states that he presented the Project at St. Albertus in 2006, and it sound like it wasn't received too well.

Alice said...

We are leaving tomorrow for our trip to Niagara Falls and Acme (a suburb of Toronto) Hope to take some pics to send. Whats with this weather? 82 degrees here!

Anonymous said...

Stan was just outside and he said the mosquitos were ferocious. Have fun, sis and win lots of money to spend at Amelia Island! I'm curious as to what the political sentiment for our upcoming election is in our neighbor to the north. Actually, my neighborhood has more Obama signs than McCain right now..whoopee!

Alice said...

We got home last night. The weather at Niagara was beautiful. We got to visit Bill`s cousin, Robert Young at his home to Ajax (I said Acme before, thats at Traverse City, duh!) They were having their elections there Tuesday, they seem quite complicated, they have 7 different parties and elect people to parliament and such. Anyway, the conservatives got the most votes. Robert and Ella want Barack to win. Their son, also Robert lives in Ohio, close to Columbus and became a US citizen this summer and is voting for the first time, and he`s for Obama. He went to a rally in Ohio and sent his dad a lot of pictures. I came home with $200 canadian dollars from the casino. It is huge! It was 2 blocks from the Embassy Suites where we stayed so it was convenient. Everything is SO expensive there, even coffee is $5 a cup, there`s 5 different taxes on food.I`ll post a few pictures up later. I bet we`ll spend an arm and a leg for everything at Amelia Island, too.

Anonymous said...

Hey sis, yes, we went to that casino when we were there. We stayed at the Hilton. Our trips to Montreal and Toronto were quite pricey, especially now that our dollar has no extra worth. The hotel room alone has about 4 different taxes tacked on to it automatically. I really love Canada, though. Ajax is a nice town with lots of hotels and shopping. Are we going to plan a family trip for winter??

Alice said...

Yes, a family trip instead of visiting for Christmas. Maybe we should have it closer to Christmas this time, like sometime in January? I guess that we don`t have to move to Canada, looks like McCain is a goner.
The economy is reaching our family, the GM plant,in Wyoming is shutting down by Dec. 2009 and Hess is out of a job. He has 2 years to get his time in for the pension benefits.

Alice said...

I finally had time to read the Detroit soul. I went to Polish dancing school for about 4-5 years. I think it cost 50 cents every week. I couldn`t dance in the recitals because my mom didn`t sew, you had to make your own costumes. I sent my daughter Sandy to Lira, too. Our neighbors on the Blvd. came from Poland and on one of their trips home, they bought her a Polish vest, which she still has. Our neighbor, Maria who was John`s age tried to get John to go, but he wouldn`t. I did sew Sandy a skirt and she had the flower tier that they wore. It`s funny, Patty that you were never involved with the Polish dancing.
I was always sorry that I wasn`t in Detroit when GM was fighting for that property, for years I didn`t buy any GM cars because of what they did.