Fun Day in Detroit
Last Saturday, for my birthday, I wanted to take my friend Mary and her husband to this Cuban restaurant called Vicente's in downtown Detroit. It is directly across from the downtown library and I think across from where Hudson's or Crowley's used to be. Great food and terrific entertainment!
Ed and Mary had never been to Belle Isle, although they were from Royal Oak. We went to Powabic Pottery first and then I took them to the conservatory on the island. They were amazed. It is really kept up well and there was even a wedding getting started in there. Lovely and warm!
Inscription translated: "TO HOPE FOR SWEET RESURRECTION FROM THE ASHES"
The old aquarium is still closed and it is a shame. Lots of Powabic tiles in there. We used to go so often and I loved to be able to get from the aquarium through a tunnel to the conservatory.
Grandma worked for the Parks and Rec. directory who lived in the lovely house across the street. She used to bring home special gifts from the directors family and clothes. I should have taken a picture of the house. Someone is fixing it up.
I know you all have some memories of picnics past on Belle Isle.

6 comments:
Boy oh boy, did they make you official members of the band? You look so natural up there, like you have the Delfino talent! Sounds like you had a nice birthday.
If you made a recording, I want a copy!
When I was a young girl, every Sunday we would go to Belle Isle for a picnic. I used to hate walking through the flower house, fish house, then go on a horse and buggy ride. The smell was awful and the buggy would sometimes break down.
We went there to take pictures on our wedding day.
Patti! buena! was this after the cervasas? looks like fun!
I love that conservatory.. were the bulbs blooming yet or were there more orchids? The house where Grandma worked.. was that the Fishbeck house? Mom told me about them .. they were kind.
That photo of the Aquarium is wonderful. Suitable for framing or a card.. If they don't get those vines off tho the place will crumble.. :O( To get the best view click on it ... I tried to use my computer dictionary to read the Latin.. no dice. Can you believe it .. not even Google Translate features Latin! Any one able to translate?
Ladies, about the inscription, I'm not sure if this is correct or not because I just pieced it together from translation websites, but if it is, it is very poignant: "TO HOPE FROM SWEET RESURRECTION FROM THE ASHES". Gives you the chills.
OMG! Good job Deb.
I heard that your going to visit Virginia soon.
Great detective work Deb... I like the thought.. Like the Apostle's Creed we learned in school.. "I believe in the resurrection of the body and life everlasting. amen!"
Post a Comment