Friday, August 13, 2010

Happy August

I always remember that my brother Tom's birthday is August 28 and his wife Shirley's is Aug. 31. I have a harder time remembering that their anniversary is Aug. 23. My mom and dad got married Aug. 1.

This picture was taken 42 years ago at Tom and Shirley's wedding shower. I thought it would be nice to remember how young they looked and also because cousin Linda is in the picture along with my Aunt Lily and my mom.
Happy August Tom & Shirley!

My sauerkraut in the crock didn't turn out last year. I grew 10 cabbages this year so I'm determined to have home made sauerkraut for the winter. I got a "in the jar" method of making the kraut from a friend's family recipe...also I found it in a couple of books just to be sure that it really works! The filled jars are sitting out in the garage hopefully fermenting and after two weeks I'm supposed to take them to a cool place. I'll let you know what happens.

We got a butterfly feeder that you fill up with old banannas or fruit but we put down some extra watermelon rinds and got many different butterflies coming to it instead. As I lounge on the porch, sipping on a cold one I can check in our butterfly book as I look at them through the binoculars. There seem to be a large variety this year besides the usual monarchs. It's hard to tell from this picture but the largest buttefly is a Question Mark... not a Comma. Honest!

This is a black swallowtail on our ironweed.

Hopefully, Sunday the weather will co-operate and we'll have a great time at the Pierogi Fest. I can hardly wait to see who the 4th positive response to the survey is and hopefully see the "maybe" too!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you have a lot of August memories. Great pictures as usual, Patty! I looked hard and long to see the question mark butterfly. I heard that Scott and Jeff may drop by the festival this weekend...We shall see!

Alice said...

Yes, August is a busy month for your family. I know that Rich is coming and my Jim is the one that responded maybe, but he said that it didn`t register.
I`d like to try that saurkraut if it comes out.
They promised that the humidity would drop on Sunday, NOW they say on Monday!

patsy said...

What time do you expect to be at Heart's?

Alice did you actually finish reading True Compass? I know you put it down for a while and you didn't give a review or stars so I wasn't sure.
Alice has some good reviews of the books she' read and I think you can see them at:
http://www.goodreads.com/goodreadscomalice
You can find me and Shirley on goodreads too.

Alice said...

We will leave as soon as Bill gets home from church, we`ll get there between 2-3.
I never finished the True Compass book, in fact I don`t where it is. I was carrying it around with me last winter, its probably in one of my bags.

patsy said...

I think I'm going to try to get there a little earlier, like between 1 & 2pm. Because i was thinking of going to Tom's and spending the night. How about you Deb?

Anonymous said...

We are will leave here by 1, so we will be there before 2 pm.