Cindy's Stopover
Cindy and Jess made a stopover in Michigan between seeing daughter, Katie, in Wisconsin and going on to Brooklyn to visit and trip around a little with son, Jon. They were only here for one day and I didn't even get to see the pups, A B &C. They stayed guard at the RV park and gave Cindy & Jess a break.
On the hottest day of the year we went to my friend's lake home, Stained Glass Bob.We were admiring his latest stained glass piece. Phoenix Rising. Bob and I are both trying to use up the sheets and scraps of glass we have. I haven't done any work in a few years but he's inspired me.
First of all I have to can or freeze all the vegetables that are ready. Whew!!
Bill and I are leaving Saturday morning for Oregon. We'll pick up Julianna in Portland and take a ride down to Crater Lake and vicinity. We'll be gone for 10 days but will have my ipad to keep in touch.

6 comments:
So sorry we couldn't meet up with Cindy and Jess, sounds like they had a short stop-over in MI.
Well, we had the warmest day here in Sept., now we might get frost tonight!
Have a safe trip, are you driving?
Flying there but then taking Julianna's car to Crater Lake.
We didn't get frost, just went down to the 40's at night. Hope you have great weather, Patty! Keep in touch.
We're going to VA for my bday (driving).
Patty, are those heirloom tomatoes? I just bought some at the fruit stand, they're delicious. They said they were from old seed.
Yes, these are an heirloom called Rose.
Commercial Heirlooms: Open-pollinated varieties introduced before 1940, or tomato varieties more than 50 years in circulation.
Family Heirlooms: Seeds that have been passed down for several generations through a family.
In the past 40 years, we've lost many of our heirloom varieties, along with the many smaller family farms that supported heirlooms. The multitude of heirlooms that had adapted to survive well for hundreds of years were lost or replaced by fewer hybrid tomatoes, bred for their commercially attractive characteristics.
Every heirloom variety is genetically unique and inherent in this uniqueness is an evolved resistance to pests and diseases and an adaptation to specific growing conditions and climates. With the reduction in genetic diversity, food production is drastically at risk from plant epidemics and infestation by pests.
They are good, thanks for the info, I think they were from the farmer's family seeds.
Did you see my review for the Sedaris book? I only gave it 3 stars, didn't like many of his stories.
Post a Comment