Saturday, November 1, 2014

Bits From This Week

1.You may have heard about the 250 year old Bur Oak tree that the UofM was moving from one side of the School of Business to the other because of an addition they want to build.  Amazing that they didn't just cut it down (protests rarely work) but they were spending $400,000 to move it as part of the total $1.35million for the project.  Seems like there could have been a compromise.  The tree has an 80% chance of making it.  
 We went last Sunday to watch the end of the move which had started on Friday. They were getting all ready to roll the 700,000 lb. tree into it's "hole" on these huge rubber, air filled ballasts.   After a couple of hours of watching and no movement we went home which was lucky because an hour later one of the ballasts blasted like a projectile it's metal air connector.  Luckily it hit the glass window of one of the bulldozers instead of the cyclone fence that the people were standing behind.  Several people had wounds from glass and debris blown around but nothing serious.
 The project was on hold all week until they investigate to be sure it won't happen again.  Poor tree.  $$$  I guess this is "better" than all the money spent on this mid-term election!  How about putting something toward paying off Studen Loans or lowering tuition?
2. Well, it's a good thing that I'm able to go out to the garden.  I got the bed prepared and the garlic planted for next year.  Yay!
 3. And got some of Canna Lillies out along with the elephant ears and taken to the basement.
 4. Took out our creativity on the pumpkins while it was still fairly warm.  Bills trying to hold our black fussy wild kitty.
 5. I'm part of the Friend's of our Library and we did a Spooky Story reading at the library which was after trick or treating in Manchester which goes from 5 til' 7.  Parents were happy to come, get warm, get cider and good snacks and use the bathroom!  As you can see, most of the kids were ready too.
6. Look at all your missing! We didn't have to shovel yet but it is cold!  Need to get the firewood!!

4 comments:

Alice said...

Yes, Old man Winter is knocking on the door.
That is one thing I don't miss doing here is digging out those canna Lilly bulbs, and racking leaves or picking up black walnuts!
Bill has joined John, Paul, Jim, Wick and Charlie to go to Mt. pleasant for Rich's birthday at Soaring Eagle casino, where they'll be joined by Scott, Rich and Jeff. I hope they bring back some winnings.

Alice said...

About moving that tree, I never like to cut down a good tree, but spending all that money to move that one is excessive. Who gets to make such decisions? So glad you didn't stick around and get hurt.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you were busy this week, Patty! It was 52 degrees today here and people were panicking. Very strange.
I thought this was the big weekend for the Nski and Young boys in Mt. Pleasant! Hope they text or post come pictures.

patsy said...

A good morning to be able to stay under the cozy covers for another hour....it was 21 degrees when I had to let the dog out! I'm worried about the squash and potatoes I stored in the garage. I hope Scott got his Canna Lillies taken care of before he went North.