Re-posing
This is a print Julianna made on to cloth.
She made a lovely scarf that she sent to me!
Favorite Documentary Shows
I wanted to
share a few of my all time favorite documentary shows. I'm mostly a fan of
history series, and mostly BBC. When I find one I like I tend to watch it over
and over, often I'll put them on in the background while I'm doing other
things. Many of these can be found on Youtube.
Tales
From the Green Valley: A group of historians and archeologists live for one year on a farm as if
it's the 17th century. A real favorite around here, both my boyfriend and I
love this show. We've re-watched it a million times, it's so cozy and
comforting and just nice.
Edwardian
Farm: Similar to
the above show, only in the Edwardian era. It also has some of the same people,
and the same cozy vibe, though it's different in other ways. There are actually
a few more in this "series" but I think this is the best besides
Tales From The Green Valley.
Victorian
Kitchen Garden: Made in
the early 80's this series attempts to run a manor house kitchen garden as it
would have been in the victorian era. Another super cozy, but very informative
show. I learned to much! For instance the Victorians had special tools for
everything, even harvesting asparagus. (there are also two more in this series,
Victorian Kitchen and Victorian Flower Garden, both also great!)
The Day
The Universe Changed: Another great series from the 80's, this program is a little hard to
describe but I'd say it focuses on history and science and the steps along the
way that take place in order to advance science. It's whimsical and quirky in a
way that I don't think you get any more with shows like this (not that there
really are any like this now).
Cosmos: is beloved for a reason, and that
reason is Carl Sagan. This science show is presented with such a sense of
delight and heartfelt wonder that it's hard not to tear up sometimes.
Crusades: A series presented by Terry Jones (from
Monty Python). As entertaining and funny as it can be, it also deals
sensitively to the cruelty and pointlessness of the crusades, and makes a case
for how we are still living with that history from the Middle Ages.
Lucy
Worsley: A History Of Home: Really I could have picked any of the many shows presented by Lucy Worsley,
she is delightful! She is a curator of Historic Royal Palaces, her shows mostly focus on the lives of the historic
royals, and more general history of home, food, and clothes, etc.
There you
have it! Let me know if you also love any of these, or if you know of any
others along the same lines that I should check out!



2 comments:
I love that print, the scarf is so fun.
I don't watch the BBC, I'll ask Bill if he does, he likes such shows.most of all he watches the history channel and PBS.
Maybe it's a good thing that you ren't coming for the game tonight, looks like rain showers. They've been having terrible weather for the games on Friday.
I think that many of those programs can be watched on your iPad or computer.
I just googled the Green Valley one and went to You Tube to watch.
https://youtu.be/dRj1YYnsBGk
It is amazing how much is on you tube. We were just watching some interviews with people who are traveling in different models of travel trailers. We are interested.
https://youtu.be/nJVS_XSHL94
Some programs also have podcasts. I like Democracy Now!
http://www.democracynow.org
Post a Comment