Sunday, October 29, 2017

Ohio

We took a quick trip to Canton, Ohio for the "Ohio Boys Political Show".  We got off the Ohio Turnpike and on the Lincoln Hwy, which is I 30 .  I love going through the small towns.


The beautiful sunny autumn day made Canton downtown look pretty active, as the County seat, and the home of McKinley Presidential Library and Monument. Oh, and the Football Hall of Fame which may be a destination for some folks  Anyway, it is a big old downtown area with industry surrounding it and very active rail roads going through it.  I was taken with how clean it was.  The mausoleum and library are in a big park near downtown: 120 steps up

They said there is a buckeye tree there but we couldn't find it.

I learned a bit about McKinley and heard some fun stories at the political show when I asked if the sellers had any Jerry Brown buttons for sale. Found a couple but bought some other fun things too.
We have a few more presidential libraries to visit of presidents from Ohio 
October 28 was Julianna's 35th birthday.  One of the things I sent her was the newest 10LB note from England .  It has the queen, as usual, on the front but Jane Austen, one of Julianna's favorite writers, on the back.  It is really quite pretty!
(1775–1817), English novelist. Her major novels are Sense and Sensibility (1811), Pride and Prejudice (1813), Mansfield Park (1814), Emma (1815), Northanger Abbey (1818), and Persuasion (1818).
The quote they used is "I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading!"

I hope everyone is ready for Halloween, turning back the clocks next weekend, the final games of the World Series and cold weather!



3 comments:

Cindy said...

What a beautiful and informative trip you took! ...and a "right on" quote "I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading". Thank you for posting this, Patty!

Here's a quote I found by Garrison Keillor:

"Growing up in a place that has winter, you learn to avoid self pity. Winter is not a personal experience, everybody else is as cold as you, and you shouldn't complain about it too much. You learn this as a kid, coming home crying from the cold, and Mother looks down and says, "It's only a little frostbite. You're okay." And thus you learn to be okay. What's done is done. Get over it. Drink your coffee. It's not the best you'll ever get but it' good enough."

Cindy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
patsy said...

Thanks, Cindy. I got your email and I wonder if this comment was the "Post" you were talking about? If you would like to do a post as well, with a picture or two, I might be able to talk you through it or if you send it to me I can Post it.

There are so many good books out there and on my nightstand. There is just not enough time! I am looking forward ro being snowed in just to get the stack down a bit.