Oregon trip
Thought you'd like to see a few things that you don't see in Michigan.
It seems like we should have lavender fields here but haven't heard of any. It was such fun cutting great bunches of lavender. The smell was enchanting! Along with lavender, much fruit was available for picking and eating. This was around the Mt. Hood area of Oregon. We did get into big tree country around Mt St. Helen's in Washington State as well. Both places are about an hour from Portland, along with the Pacific about an hour west. Great location!!
I have been to tide pools on the east cost but these Pacific Coast tide pools are full of different colored star fish and anemones and sea urchins as well as other surprises. The mating season had taken place and harbor seals and tufted puffins as well as many other birds that were busy taking care of families. You have to click on the picture to really see the seals well on the rocks. We saw a whale too even though spring and fall are when they usually pass through.
We had lovely weather and got to be with Julianna and see her new home away from home. Portland is a big city full of parks and flowers and great food and culture.

5 comments:
It sounds like a very interesting place to visit. Does Julianne have some friends there? I love lavender, I buy Yardleys lavender soap for the bathroom. I put in 2 lavvender plants this spring, but so far, no flowers.
Looks like Julianna picked a great place! I wanted to see Portland when we went to Washington, but we ran out of time. Too much to see in the Pacific Northwest! I found lavender hard to grow. Let me know if you have luck.
Speaking of lavender, I went to our township hall to vote today, and they have huge lavender plants out front. They smell soooo good. I went to Meijers and picked up a couple more, they`re 75% off now. The girl said they like sandy soil, so I`m putting them on the beach.
I haven't been very successful growing lavender either and I suspected after seeing these wonderful fields of lavender that the trick is pruning....which I never really did. I just googled lavender and added the link to our blog of the best site.....but there are many.
I think I have killed a few plants. They need sun and dryness. Here is what it says about pruning: It takes about three years for a Lavender to reach full size. Plants should be pruned every year immediately after bloom. Pruning should not be confused with harvesting. Pruning is necessary to extend the life of the plant. Lavender flower wand stems are usually a bright green while Lavender leaves are gray. Cut back not only the flower stem, but also about a third of the gray-leaved stems as well. If the plant has been neglected, it can be cut back further, but avoid pruning back so far that only woody stems with no leaves are showing. A plant pruned into the wood may push out latent (sleeping) buds or it may die.
Go to the link. There are lots of varieties that would grow well around here.
Beautiful photos of Oregon Patty... Julianna really took the leap! And landed in one of the prettiest states in the union... Mona is living in the "Bend" area, up in the high desert, east of the peaks of the 3 Sisters. That's where we had our last family reunion before Mom died.. At Sunriver..
Our family had friends in McMinville and spent a week there & on the coast near Newport. God's country.. with "purple mountain majesty!"
Congratulations Julianna!!! Very Cool!
Post a Comment