Pickle Time
You know how some things in the garden do well in certain years? Well, this year we have cucumbers coming on which in the past have never hardly even given us one for our salad. So because of prices or reading the Barbara Kingsolver book, " Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" or maybe just because there are so many cucumbers......I decided to can. It's been a few years and I even gave away most of my jars and confidence. Boy, I wish grandma or my mom were around to answer questions. But I actually found a lot of info on the internet.
Bread and Butter pickles seemed to use alot of cucumbers and easy so I did 12 pints of them and about 6 quarts of dill pickles. These can be canned in just a water bath and the weather has cooled down so that steaming pots of water in the kitchen isn't so bad. I can hardly wait for tomatoes to really start overwhelming us which sees to be later this year, maybe because of the frost that nearly killed the plants this spring.....remember?
How are your gardens? Have you got any good recipes?
I added a book list to the side bar but I'm not sure if anyone besides me can add to the list. If you put a book on the comments I will add it to the list, if you can't. Also, I will add a couple of links to recipes.

1 comment:
My tomatoes are slow to grow, I`ve been going down the road to buy cukes and tomatoes. A few houses down my road they have chickens and goats and other small animals and I`ve been buying their eggs. Summertime is really nice when you don`t have to buy from the supper markets.
I have some books to put on your list, that I`ve read and enjoyed this Summer. Lay That Trumpet IN Our Hands, by Susan Carol McCarthy Family Tree by Barbara Delinsky Wish You Well by David
Baldacci
Post a Comment