Thursday, September 25, 2008

Harvest time

Don't you love Fall?!

I love planting a little seed in the spring and digging in the soil in the Fall to find big surprises!
This carrot is the biggest, straightest we have ever grown.
The potato patch is the most fun because of the what we find. Now that the green vines have died back Bill likes to just put his hands in the soil and pull out all these little treasures. Then of course I cook them up in some sauteed onions and garlic and maybe throw in the string beans that don't stop producing and what a fine meal. For free (practically).
Anyone have a good recipe for carrot soup?
I've been canning tomato sauce and have run out of canning jars. Now I wish I hadn't sold so many at garage sales!

3 comments:

dona said...

Good looking carrot cousin.. a friend just told me that the Jack La Laine juicer is selling @ Bed Bath & Beyond for $100... cheaper than it was on tv.

Our Pascalle juices beets, cabbage, carrots and lots of other stuff... she researches the nutritional value of produce. She's really into health..

The store (BB&B) sends out a coupon for 20% off almost every month... humm, only $80! looking at your carrot I'm thinking I need one of those juicers! Specially with winter coming on... Pascalle said the TOPS of the veggies are many times more loaded with the vitamins than the crop itself... have you heard that?

I went to a Sheep & Wool festival Saturday (beautiful weather), way out by 38 mile and Van Dyke.. the produce stands were so cheap! 4 huge Hubbard and/or Butternut squashes for $5... I bought 8 huge ones... cooked 2 tonite... found receipes on YouTube! Makin' soup tomorrow... Yum!

patsy said...

Donna, I found a used juicer BK (before kids) and used to use it so much that it stayed on my counter. It is now forgotten in my basement. Thanks for reminding me how I can use all these great carrots (including the tops!)
There are some great recipes in the link to Animal, Vegetable, Miracle (in our purple link list on the right). Also I made this great carrot soup from The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper book from the Library. Their website doesn't have this particular recipe but have many others including a squash lasagna. http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/
I know your not a Martha Steward fan but her website also is tempting.
I'll have to check out the YouTube site for recipes.
I may never get off the computer to go and cook!

Alice said...

I never thought that you use the tops of carrots for anything! I bought carrot juice at the market one time and didn`t like the sweet taste of it, I like the v-8 juice. The only veggie that I planted was the tomatoes, and thank goodness they ripenned like 2 every day, so I didn`t have to worry what to do with them. I still have a dozen or so on the bushes. (we might get frost this week), I`ll bring them in.