THANKS for the Free press article Patsy.. (go to columnists, then type in Mitch Album, Saturday the 10th... we love Mitch, he's OUR'S
Just wanted to add that the Delfino parents met at that Packard plant he referred to, back in the mid 40's.. And when Pascalle & I went to the Detroit Institute of Arts last week people were waiting in lines for a half hour in biting winds to see the 'Monet to Dali' exhibit (which was wonderful beyond words and worth every effort to see!) We even ran into a family we've known for years in the mass of folks that were there...
One thing Mitch didn't mention is that we have an active Alliance Francaise chapter. With it we have French classes with native speakers, a rollicking annual 'Beaujolaise Neuveau' party with decendants of the original French families that settled here from the 1700's, plus regular concerts and film events AND 'meet up' groups (three!) in the metro area held @ cafe's where one can meet up to speak French or just listen & learn.
The thing I MOST appreciate about this area, from day ONE is how close the familes are.. People take care of one another.. really, to the extent I never dreamed of.. If I had a $ for every time I've seen it in action we could have retired years ago!!!
The photos are of our beautiful Lake St. Clair in winter with freighters the size of football fields transporting wheat from Duluth MN thru to the Atlantic & beyond... and the Detroit Festival of the Arts held in summer, where thanks to a troupe from Amsterdam, things got big & buggy...
YES we LOVE Detroit!!!

3 comments:
Great pictures, Dona, and good thoughts too. (did you take the pictures?)
I've been reading the FP/Sports Illistrated article and so impressed that I started looking into Mitch Albom's web site http://mitchalbom.com/
Very happy to read about Albom Charity Funds Family Health Clinic S.A.Y. Detroit and the Detroit Rescue Mission Ministries opens free medical clinic for the homeless. And since I just got an email from Michelle Obama about Jan 19 (besides MLK day) being a day of service to honor MLK it makes me want to volunteer. See what you can do in your area: http://usaservice.org/page/content/calltoservice/
Thanks for the compliments Patsy... yes I took those.. like you, a camera buff.. you can post favorite photos on Google Map's photo show ... some of mine are @ http://www.panoramio.com/user/2056724..
Julianna and I went to Detroit on Thursday with good intentions to go to the DIA but we didn't make it. (We ran out of time and from what I'm hearing we may not have been able to get in to see the Dali'Monet exhibit.)
However, we did visit Tom and Shirley who are now enjoying retirement and so available during the day. Then we set out to find the "Good Girls Go To Paris Crepes" Restaurant. Everyone has to go there. Easy to find and a truly fun Paris experience (right in the middle of Detroit!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVaG716rwdw
website: http://www.goodgirlsgotopariscrepes.com/
I mentioned Pascalle DuGay and of course everyone knew my famous niece! Fun, fun, fun. Oh, plus Tom mentioned that Dona, our talented photographer cousin, often gets her photgraphs in the local paper! The panoramio web site is very cool.
Post a Comment