Sunday, March 31, 2013

Long Ago Easters

My aunt Lily always made us a hat for Easter and Christmas. I was looking for a picture of me and my mom and grandma in our Easter bonnets.  I can't believe I don't have one which is just a reminder to all to take pictures and save them not just on the cell phone.
I'm not sure if these pictures are really from Easter's past but they kind of look like it.
 This picture is marked 1943 which means that my dad was probably away in the Navy.  My mom spent alot of time at grandma's house with Tom.  Not sure of the dog's name but a Pomeranian.  Maybe Alice remembers.  Buffy?
 I wish I had  grandma's dress now.  I remember it being reds and purples.  This is 1956.  I noticed that the wallpaper was gone in Deb's Easter pic.  When did that happen?  I always remember lovely  wallpaper in that Blvd. house.
This must be Easter!  This garage was built by all the uncles in the family.  It was so much fun to have them all come over. sometimes with family, but when the cement was happening they wisely left the kids at home.  Mom and grandma would put together a lunch and plenty of beer after the work.

Happy Easter all.  Take plenty of cute pictures.

10 comments:

Alice said...

Didn't your mom live on Audubon with Grandma when your Dad was gone?
Buffy sounds right.
Don't know if I'll get any pictures, we'll all be watching the Mi basketball game.

Anonymous said...

We redid the wallpaper in our house in the mid 60's. I can't remember the last time I wore an Easter hat. Probably in grade school!

patsy said...

This is the way I remember it. Tom should correct me if I'm wrong.
My mom and dad lived at his parents' house in Hamtramck until Tom was born than when my dad went into the Navy my mom moved into a rental house within walking distance of her parent's house. I know Tom could speak and understand Polish when he was very little so maybe I have the places where he lived turned around..
Anyhow, the Galanski's moved to Audubon in maybe '46 and I was born there (hospital actually) in '47 until I was around 3-4.
Hats are just not "in" TG as there were. All those hats got sold at garage sales or given away.

Anonymous said...

Hi All.. Nice memories Patsy! Grandma looks stunning in that first picture! Our mom named one of our dogs Buffy (in Oceanside) she was also small & sweet (Simone was just crawling then).. so maybe it was Buffy..

Come on Tom.. tell us your memories so we don't pass on wrong info! The picture at 5744 Audubon.. just 30 years later.. it was our kids standing in front of that garage..we were very happy at that address! I had no idea it was built by our uncles! That was a sturdy well-built garage! Only the door squeaked. But our neighbors, the Kunnaths asked us NOT to fix the squeak because it reminded them of "Mitch" our uncle Ned.. when he'd come home after work.. They missed him very much, especially Dan. I remember our dad Charlie telling us a long time ago that he helped with the driveway.. does anyone remember that?

Good to see all these archives of our beloved ones! Thanks!

Alice said...

Speaking of garages, I don't know the year, but the Uncles came over and tore down our 3-car garage on the Blvd.
Do you ever remember it, Deb?

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do. And without the garage, you could look out the back window and see all the way to the alley and watch the sheeny man!

Anonymous said...

I was just reflecting on Dona's post about Tom telling us his memories. Guess we just can't attract any men to posting on the blog....!

Alice said...

Men are not bloggers! I talked to Kim and she said she would join the blog, but she is real busy right now, they're going to Australia next week and she's in charge of her 30th. High school reunion this Summer, trying to locate her classmates.

Alice said...

Lil Sis, have a good, safe, warm trip!

Anonymous said...

Thanks! We're staying in Pittsburgh tomorrow night, across the street from the baseball stadium. Supposed to be in the 70s starting on Sunday in DC. I'll be picking up my new laptop that Justin ordered and set up, so I'll see if there is anything new on the blog.