Sunday, May 20, 2007

New Bridge


If you have ever been out to visit our house, you may have crossed the old one lane world war II bridge that was placed in the early '50's to cross the River Raisin. It was a beautiful reminder of days gone by and fit in perfectly with the narrow gravel road, flora and fauna and low usage. However, only vehicles with less than 3 tons could go over it. No school busses or emergency vehicles or even UPS trucks! But no gravel trucks either!!

Our new bridge finally got finished last week and although not as "bucolic", it was downsized and improved upon from the original that was first presented to the community. Even the road commission is proud of it because it is not the usual cement structure they tend to build. We fought for a smaller bridge for many years and finally state regulations were updated and we were able to get a compromise.

I'm holding my new little neighbor, Cameron, who is helping to cut the ribbon for the new Wilbur Rd. Bridge.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I remember that bridge! Although the new one is not as attractive, I'm glad you were able to get the smaller bridge. It doesn't look like something from off the freeway.
Have you ever seen the old covered bridges in Western Pennsylvania? I made Stan and Justin drive out to see some of them the last time we were in PA. Even the GPS system in the car couldn't help direct us out to those rural roads! There are about 6 of them that you can see, concentrated in just a few counties.

patsy said...

When Julianna first moved out to Maine, Bill and I went to visit by going through Canada and then down through Vermont & New Hampshire. There were a few covered bridges along our route. Wonderful to see. Each one is so different. I don't remember for sure but I don't think we could actually drive thru any of them. Weight standards have to be met!
This reminds me of the covered bridge at Greenfiled Village. I forget where that one came from but I know Michigan had/has a few. By the way, our old bridge, because it was designated historical, had to be kept or sold for reuse by a private entity. We wanted a local park to have it but it needed too much work/$ for public use even as just a walking bridge so a man bought it for his private use on his property.

Anonymous said...

The one at Greenfield Village is the Ackley Covered Bridge. I believe it was from the eastern US, also. We are leaving on June 17th to drive to Toronto, then Montreal. We will make Montreal the designated spot to stay and then drive up to Quebec City and down to Vermont from there. I hope we see some of those bridges you mentioned.

Alice said...

We have 2 covered bridges in Kent County, one is in Fallasburg Park, if your coming down Lincoln Lake Rd., just past Lowell you will see the sign for it. The other is in Ada, yes the place where Devos lives.