Saturday, February 14, 2009

Another February Birthday!


Bill and I were in a warmer climate for the 12th. We went to Hodgenville, Ky. for the 200th birthday celebration of Abraham Lincloln. Now that is OLD!


Abe was born in Hodgenville, Kentucky but at age 2 moved about 10 miles east to Knobs Creek until about 7 yrs. where he remembers playing with his older sister, Sarah. Then they moved to Indiana until Abe was 21. Abe's mother and eventually his sister died there. Then he moved on to Illinois.




















We got some first day stamp cancellations of the new Lincoln stamps from the postoffice and also got some rolls of the first of the 4 new Lincoln pennies that are coming out this year. It was very fun visiting 3 places that ol' Abe lived and worked before he was 21. Plus it was warm!! It's snowing here in Mich. today but it is beautiful.

3 comments:

Alice said...

You better save some of those pennies, you never know, maybe you`ll have to use them some day. For Valentine`s day I got Bill the book about Lincoln, "Team of Rivals" by Doris Karns Goodwin. He will have a lot of reading to do, its over 800 pages long. We got that snow, too. We`re at 99.1 in. for the season and a storm coming in on Tues.
I have to make a correction on the birthday I posted. I was informed by Jim that Connor is 11 this year. Grandma Alice isn`t keeping up. We have his birthday party today. Sorry, Connor. I know that when you`re young you like to be older and its the other way around when you do get older. Don`t forget you`ll always be Connor James Young!

dona said...

Great photos Patty... you and Bill sure know how to keep romance alive! va va voom! Bet he wonders how he ever found time to work! Looks like you 2 really enjoyed your 'history' date... me, I Love Abe too!

Did anyone catch the 2 specials on Public TV this last week? Tues nite here we had a piece on his assasination, then Weds. a longer one on his life. Both were beautifully done. the one of his life featured an interview with the author of the book you got for your Bill, Alice. She's a sharp lady... I think I saw her book at Costco... looks great but i'll have to retire before I can do the 800 pages!

Maybe Bill Young can share a tidbit here and there of anything he finds 'new' or 'interesting'..? Thereby saving us all $ and time!

Goodness can Valerie be 6 already? What a pretty smile she has! Loved that Kitty Kake!!!

patsy said...

Doris Kearns Goodwin gave a talk in Portland, Oregon for Linclon's birthday but tickets were $100 so Julianna didn't get to go. But she is usually on any documentary DVD about Linclon or Civil War era history. I checked out her web site and there are alot of interviews you can listen to.
Speaking of listening to something really GREAT, go to this NPR site to listen to: What would Linclon have on his Ipod? LISTEN to the story. Really good! I LOVE NPR!!
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=100675699&sc=nl&cc=mn-20090218